The study found that those who adopted the "Mediterranean diet" is more healthy and live longer. This study was made using the mid-year 11,000 women.
Let's try this diet
What is MEDITERRANEAN DIET??
The Mediterranean diet is a modern nutritional recommendation inspired by the traditional dietary patterns of Greece and Southern Italy. The principal aspects of this diet include proportionally high consumption of olive oil, legumes, unrefined cereals, fruits, and vegetables, moderate to high consumption of fish, moderate consumption of dairy products (mostly as cheese and yogurt), moderate wine consumption, and low consumption of meat and meat product
It's often is cited as beneficial for being low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat and dietary fiber. One of the main explanations is thought to be the health effects of olive oil included in the Mediterranean diet.
10 COMMANDMENTS of the REAL MEDITERRANEAN DIET
The commandments are:
- Use olive oil as the main added fat (aim for around 60 mls /day);
- Eat vegetables with every meal (include 100g leafy greens and 100g tomatoes, and 200g other vegetables/day);
- Include at least two legumes meals (250g serve) per week;
- Eat at least two servings of fish (150-200g serves) per week and include oily fish:for example Atlantic and Australian salmon, blue-eye trevalla, blue mackerel, gemfish, canned sardines, and canned salmon. Canned tuna is not as high in the important fish oil omega-3, but still a good choice to include in your fish serves.
- Eat smaller portions of meat (beef, lamb, pork and chicken) and less often (no more than once or twice a week);
- Eat fresh fruit every day and dried fruit and nuts as snacks or dessert;
- Eat yoghurt everyday (about 200g) and cheese in moderation (about 30 to 40 grams per day);
- Include wholegrain breads and cereals with meals (aim for 3-4 slices of bread per day);
- Consume wine in moderation (one standard drink a day, which is about 100 mls), always with meals and don't get drunk. Try and have a couple of alcohol free days a week;
- Have sweets or sweet drinks for special occasions only.